Safe Handling of Dry Ice
Remember these safety precautions when you work with dry ice!
Dry ice is -109º F, which is cold enough to freeze skin cells causing an injury similar to a burn. Never allow dry ice to come in contact with skin. Always handle dry ice with protective gloves or a towel.
Dry ice converts to carbon dioxide gas. If left in a confined space, the carbon dioxide gas will displace oxygen and present a suffocation hazard. If dry ice has been in a confined space (e.g. a closed car or room) for more than 10 minutes, open the doors and windows before entering or you could experience difficulty breathing. Leave the area immediately if you start to breathe quickly or have any difficulty breathing.
Do not store dry ice in a container that is completely airtight. When dry ice sublimates to carbon dioxide gas, the gas pressure greatly expands. This expansion will cause an airtight container to expand and possibly explode.
For a copy of our dry ice safety brochure*, click on the appropriate link below and print.
*You must have Adobe Reader in order to view the above documents. Get Adobe Reader here.